The Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel
The Chapel was built in 1913 at the instigation of Mother Baptista Molloy in memory of Mary MacKillop. The land was donated in memory of the Daly family. The Chapel was dedicated by the Very Rev Michael Kelly, Archbishop of Sydney on 18 January 1914.
On 28 January 1914, Mary's remains were moved from Gore Hill Cemetery, her original resting place, and reinterred in front of Our Lady's altar in the vault donated by Mary's long-time friend, Johanna Barr-Smith.
In 1994, Mary's remains were moved to what was the original vestry of the Chapel. The Chapel was used by the Sisters of St Joseph for many years but since Mary's beatification in 1995, has become a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people who come to pray and reflect at her tomb now in its own special place.
Significant Dates in the Chapel
|12 January 1913||The Foundation Stone of the Chapel was blessed|
|8 December 1913||The first Mass was celebrated|
|18 January 1914||The Memorial Chapel was blessed and opened by Archbishop Kelly|
|28 January 1914||Mary's remains were transferred from the Gore Hill Cemetery to the Chapel erected in her memory|
|29 January 1914||Mary MacKillop's remains were re-interred in the tomb at the front of the altar of Mary the Mother of God|
19 March 1914
Chapel consecrated by Archbishop Kelly
|2 December 1970||Pope Paul VI here addressed Major Superiors of Religious Orders on the subject of Christian Education|
|20 December 1993||Mary's remains were placed in the present tomb to the right side of the altar|
|19 January 1995||Pope John Paul II prayed at the tomb before the Beatification ceremony at Randwick|
|17 July 2008||Pope Benedict XVI prayed at the tomb during his visit to Sydney for World Youth Day|
|17 October 2010||Canonisation celebrations of Saint Mary of the Cross at Mary MacKillop Place|
The Chapel is located in the grounds of Mary MacKillop Place with street access via 7 Mount Street.
Wheelchair access via 7 Mount Street
T: 02 8912 4878