The Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel
Christmas and New Year Opening Times
Please click here to view the Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel and Gift Shop and Cafe opening times for the Christmas and New Year period.
- Please click here to see the latest COVID-19 update with regards to the Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel.
- We continue to exercise due care for all who come, especially those who are vulnerable, and to continue to abide by the health advice given by the Chief Health Officer. Hence our decision to make the Chapel available for private prayer and limited Mass times (please see Mass times below).
- This decision will be reviewed as time goes on and further restrictions are lifted.
Limited Opening Time for Private Prayer
- The Chapel is open Monday to Friday from 9.00am – 1.00pm.
- Social distancing is being observed and we are adhering to Government directives (restricted numbers).
- Saturday and Sunday we are still closed.
- Mass is celebrated Monday to Friday at 8am only (restricted numbers). The Chapel gate will be opened at 7.45am and closed again at 8.05am.
- On public holidays Mass is celebrated at 9am only (restricted numbers). The Chapel gate will be opened at 8.45am and closed again at 9.05am.
The Chapel was built in 1913 at the instigation of Mother Baptista Molloy in memory of Mary MacKillop. The land was donated in memory of the Daly family. The Chapel was dedicated by the Very Rev Michael Kelly, Archbishop of Sydney on 18 January 1914.
On 28 January 1914, Mary’s remains were moved from Gore Hill Cemetery, her original resting place, and reinterred in front of Our Lady’s altar in the vault donated by Mary’s long-time friend, Johanna Barr-Smith.
In 1994, Mary’s remains were moved to what was the original vestry of the Chapel. The Chapel was used by the Sisters of Saint Joseph for many years but since Mary’s beatification in 1995, has become a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people who come to pray and reflect at her tomb now in its own special place.
The Chapel is located in the grounds of Mary MacKillop Place with street access via 7 Mount Street.
Wheelchair access via 7 Mount Street.
All Pastoral Care enquiries and prayer requests:
T: 02 8912 4890